Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The End of the Long Journey

As the English Proverb goes, "All good things must come to an end". Well, we knew this fun blog and travel adventure was going to have to end at some point and this will be the final entry. However sad it is to be at the endpoint, it also signifies a new beginning. For example, I have just finished my resume updating and will soon begin a serious search for employment. I am fortunate that I can take the time to do a proper search without worry and will, hopefully, be able to find something that is challenging, mentally stimulating and in the location where I want to spend the next few years. Of course, I am already packing for my next trip, but more on that later.

We were planning to return to the U.S. by 5/9 so I could attend my niece's graduation from Penn State followed by my daughter, Marissa's, graduation from Boston University. Since we had a week to ease our way back into Western life, we chose to visit the Cotswold area, west of London and then Bath. We arrived at Heathrow Airport in the early hours of 5/2, rented a car and explored life in England for the week.

The Cotswold area is comprised of small towns and villages in a large area with lots of farms, rolling hills, old buildings, castles and other beautiful scenery. As it was Springtime, many plants and trees were beginning their annual blooming process. Several times, we commented on how nice it would be to rent or own one of these older homes in these quaint villages, of course, the wrong side of the road driving and my inability to understand the locals' version of English are big negatives.

Here are some of the photos taken during our self-guided tour...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Then there's the delightful British sense of humor. I'm sure some of these might be repeats of things seen here but they made me chuckle nonetheless...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

(For some reason, I always think of my friend, Karen Coakley, when I read this last one.)

I know they're not Seinfeld quality comedy but that got pretty played out and this is the best I could find in England. I appreciate all of the wonderful heartfelt comments, suggestions and advice you have shared with me during these last 9(!) months and I have been thrilled to share my once in a lifetime experience with you through my blog writing and photos. I will be doing more things with the blog output either in book or professional slideshow format in the coming months.

Of course, once you take this kind of adventure, you get the feeling you want to do more, so fearful that I'll get pulled back into the corporate world soon and not have a chance to repeat this kind of trip, I'm planning another trip right away. This one will take me from Seattle to Boston by car through the Paloose of Washington, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Wild Horse areas in wyoming and Montana , The Badlands in South Dakota, etc. This trip will be with a photography friend of mine, Edmund, whom I've traveled with each of the last two summers. The African trip was 75 days and is a real test of marital harmony so we both welcome being back home and having more personal space.

You just never know where I'll end up. Thanks again for all the support

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment